Images used in this web site Copyright © University of Minnesota Geometry Center
B.S., Haverford College, 1977.
Ph.D., M.I.T., 1983
My research interests are in the foundations of physical probability.
I use statistical concepts such as the auto-correlation of a time series
to define probability in terms of physically more basic concepts.
This has applications to turbulence and emergent order and morphogenesis.
This led to a publication on the problem in the axiomatics of Quantum Mechanics
which Wigner called Quantum Duality, although it is now more usually
called Quantum Measurement.
The simplest rigorous, non-circular proof that d(cos x) = - sin x at the Math Department .
The influential paper by H. S. Green in 1958 on quantum measurement, zipped postscript. "Observation in Quantum Mechanics,"
Nuovo Cimento vol. 9 (1958) no. 5, pp. 880-889.
Pages 1-2 pages 3-4 pages 5-6 pages 7-8 pages 9-10
An interesting list of papers on this hot topic of Quantum Information, maintained by the Italian national research centre on Quantum Computers.
A notebook of to-do articles and topics of a Quantum Statistician at Michigan.
J. S. Bell's trenchant critique of the notion of Quantum Measurement, which, specifically, is what I have addressed and tried to answer. .
- Lie Algebra Cohomology and the Resolution of Certain Harish-Chandra
Modules, Mathematische Annalen, vol. 267 (1984), pp. 377-393
- Endoscopic groups and stable packets of certain derived Functor
Modules, with Jeffrey Adams in: The Selberg Trace Formula and
Related Topics, Hejhal, Sarnak, and Terras, eds., Contemporary
Mathematics vol. 53 (1986), pp. 1-10
- Endoscopic Groups and Packets of non-Tempered Representations,
with Jeffrey Adams, Compositio Mathematica, vol. 64 (1987), pp.
- Stable Base Change C/R of Certain Derived Functor Modules, Mathematische
Annalen, vol. 287 (1990), pp. 467-493
- Character Identities between Different Real Reductive Lie Groups,
Accepted, Advances in Mathematics
- Galois-twisted Euler--Poincare Characteristics of Complex Algebraic
Groups, Crelle's Journal, vol. 568 (2004), pp. 1-22.
- Thermo-dynamic Limits, Quantum Entanglement, and Non-Commutative Probability, in, Quantum Theory and Symmetries III, edited by Argyres et al., Singapore, 2004, pp. 133-143.
- Statistical Mechanics of Amplifying Apparatus , in, Proc. VIII Internat. Wigner Symposium, NYC 2003, edited by Catto and Nicolescu, to appear.
- Some New Cases of Khintchine's Conjectures in Statistical Mechanics, Revista Investigación Operacional, vol. 33, no. 3 (2012), pp. 99-113.
Outline of undergraduate Ordinary Differential Equations.